YouTube introduces ad-free subscription service
YOUTUBE is taking on the likes of Netflix, Stan and Presto by launching an ad-free subscription service for its content.
The service called YouTube Red cost users $9.99 per month and allows users to save content offline and includes a Google Play Music subcription.
A free one-month trial is available.
YouTube, which celebrated its tenth anniversary this year, made an effort to comfort users and creators with a blog post on Wednesday, outlining seven important things to know.
1. The YouTube you know and love is here to stay. Your fans can still enjoy your content on YouTube for free and you'll get paid from the ad revenue generated, as always.
2. A new option for viewers. YouTube Red allows fans to watch videos uninterrupted without ads, save them offline and play in the background while still supporting creators through their membership fee. And as a special bonus - YouTube Red works with Google Play Music, so users who subscribe to one automatically get access to the other.
3. A new source of revenue. Starting today, with the launch of YouTube Red, our creator community will make as much or more money on YouTube than they would have without it. And on a per-user basis, a paying YouTube Red member will generate more money for creators than a typical ad-viewing, free user.
4. Let's talk about free trials. Creators are the lifeblood of YouTube. So with Google Play Music subscribers instantly joining YouTube Red, we will pay a portion of the revenue we receive from these subscribers to our creators on day 1. Even with 30 day free trials, our creator community will make as much or more as they would have without YouTube Red.
5. Participating in YouTube Red doesn't cost creators a thing. Whether or not you personally decide to pay for a YouTube Red membership, your videos can still be a part of YouTube Red and you'll still be able to earn new revenue from your viewers' membership fees.
6. Creators don't need to do anything differently for YouTube Red. Some creators have asked whether they need to make longer videos to make money on YouTube Red. The most important factor is that your videos are engaging and people spend time watching them and sharing them with more people. In other words - we see plenty of short-form videos that get way more overall watch time than long-form videos because they're more engaging and shareable.
7. Now your fans can enjoy your videos in more ways. With YouTube Red, your fans can engage with your content more. They can take your videos with them wherever they're headed, whether or not they have an Internet connection. They can keep your videos playing in the background on their phones while answering text messages or looking up directions. We're just getting started, but we think YouTube Red is going to be great for both you and your fans.