'Won't cop it': Premier on the defence as two cases recorded

 


Queensland has recorded two new cases of coronavirus in the 24 hours to this morning.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said one was a locally-acquired case of a close contact of a known case from the corrective services cluster.

"My understanding is that they've been in home quarantine … we're very comfortable with the results today," she said.

The other case is a returned traveller in quarantine.

There are now 19 active cases in the state. There have been 1152 confirmed cases in the Sunshine State since the start of the pandemic.

The Premier said she was confident with plans to ensure the safety of Queenslanders when borders reopen to the ACT from 1am on September 25.

"They have to fill out their border exemption passes of course and there will be checks," she said.

"I've had a conversation with the Chief Minister Andrew Barr and of course we've had correspondence from the airport and I'm very confident authorities are putting in place the necessary checks that need to happen.

"We are absolutely satisfied … that there is no risk for ACT residents coming into Queensland and Queenslanders going to the ACT."

The Premier took the chance to defend herself and her Government after criticism over cast and crew being allowed into Queensland for filming.

Ms Palaszczuk defended the local film industry ramping up, saying while other parts of the world were experiencing additional waves of coronavirus, Queensland was in a stronger health and economic position.

"We're able to support the industry and get people back into work. There are a whole lot of jobs that rely on that industry," she told reporters on Sunday.

She said that included food deliveries, carpenters, set designers, make-up artists and other jobs.

Ms Palaszczuk noted when Melbourne was having its second wave, Prime Minister Scott Morrison was on the Gold Coast "talking about how good the film industry is".

"I'm not going to cop this negativity on one hand about the industry, which is supporting local Gold Coast jobs," she said.

 

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said she would “not cop” the negativity about the Gold Coast film industry firing up. (News Corp/Attila Csaszar)
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said she would “not cop” the negativity about the Gold Coast film industry firing up. (News Corp/Attila Csaszar)

Ms Palaszczuk also confirmed Hollywood actor Tom Hanks was quarantining in a hotel, not a house as reports had suggested, and said other people had been flown into NSW from Los Angeles but no one was talking about that.

Queensland has 19 active cases, and the total number of infections stands at 1152.

So far, six people have died from the virus in Queensland, the last being an 83-year-old male cruise ship passenger on April 18.

On Friday, the Queensland Government announced it would accept travellers from Canberra from September 25 while the state will increase its weekly intake of returning Australians by 500 in October under a deal struck at a National Cabinet meeting.

Ms Palaszczuk floated the possibility of returning Australians serving their mandatory quarantine in regional centres.

"The Prime Minister has agreed to extra Australian Defence Force personnel to help and I thank him for that - this is the way we should be working in co-operation," she said on Friday.

"We're looking at some hotels in Cairns, we know the Cairns economy has been doing it quite tough and of course we'll look at our Brisbane-based hotels as well," she said.

Authorities have also discussed using Gladstone as a quarantine hub.

On Sunday, Ms Palaszczuk said there was no risk from the ACT.

"This is about keeping the health of Queenslanders safe. That's my priority, that's the government's priority, that's the chief health officer's priority," she said.

"If we are safe, this means that our economy can continue to function.

"We can now focus on our economic response because we have focused on the health response."


COVID: What you can and can’t do in Qld right now

Premium Content COVID: What you can and can’t do in Qld right now

Deputy Premier rules out any changes to restrictions this weekend

‘Move on’: Ex-Qld Labor premier backs NSW in border wars

Premium Content ‘Move on’: Ex-Qld Labor premier backs NSW in border wars

Peter Beattie says Queensland must follow NSW’s lead

Truckie released from ICU after Western Downs rollover

Premium Content Truckie released from ICU after Western Downs rollover

UPDATE: A man has been released from intensive care after suffering critical...