Southern Cross sale puts apprentices out of work
THE closure of Southern Cross Automotive Group's Dalby and Chinchilla outlets has left five apprentices with an uncertain future.
The five light vehicle mechanic apprentices were told this week that the businesses would close after the parent company was placed into receivership in June.
The businesses were deemed unviable and will close their doors in the coming weeks.
But Golden West Apprenticeships business development manager Russell Addison has put the call out for other businesses in the two towns to take on the workers and keep the skills local.
"Basically they (apprentices) are indentured to Golden West and hosted by Southern Cross," Mr Addison said.
- Armstrong Auto purchases Southern Cross Automotive
- Western Downs dealerships to close, Warwick sells
- Southern Cross Automotive goes into receivership
"With the sale of Southern Cross and the closing down of the two branches, the apprentices come back to us and we have to try and relocate them so they can continue with their apprenticeships."
Mr Addison said two of the five workers were set to finish their apprenticeships this year.
He said businesses were needed to take on a second year in Chinchilla, and a second and third-year apprentice in Dalby.
"The last thing we want to happen is they lose their jobs, be unable to finish their trade and fall through the cracks," Mr Addison said.
"I think they're pretty gutted about the sale and are a bit disillusioned.
"Through no fault of their own they are losing their apprenticeship.
"They could understand if they were mucking around at work, but this is something not of their making."
For businesses interested in taking on the workers, contact Golden West on 1300 650 775.
What you said about Southern Cross deal:
- Susan Morgan: Toowoomba residents need to get behind all locally owned and operated small businesses. Reinvest your dollars here and it supports residents of Toowoomba and their families.
- Kelly Keleher: The staff can finally breathe a sigh of relief after months of not knowing. So happy for you guys hopefully the new bosses are awesome and treat you all wonderfully. You deserve it
- Becca Breed: What about us in Dalby and Chinchilla? Having to drive at least one hour to get any services done or parts. What about if you need an "emergency" service where the transmission has gone or something is broken and it can only be driven for a very short period of time?