Concerns raised after drainage works left in the dust
UNCERTAINTY surrounds a major Zeller St construction project after its Noosa-based contractor went into receivership last week, leaving residents looking to Western Downs Regional Council for answers.
RHA Australia was appointed by the council as the principal contractor for stage two of the Chinchilla Trunk Drainage Project, which included works adjacent to Zeller and Wheeler Sts.
The 14-week project began on Monday, March 2.
But work crews haven't been seen on the site since last Friday, and Mayor Ray Brown confirmed the company had gone into receivership and was "currently seeking legal advice on how to proceed with works".
"As such, due to the confidential nature of these discussions, council is unable to make further public comment at this time," Cr Brown said.
While the council tries to resolve the issue, wide trenches, pipes and other construction material remain dormant at the site.
Nearby resident Karen Auty described the scene as an eye-sore and safety hazard.
"It's a very big concern, especially for children," she said.
"All of this should have been sured up, it's just a complete mess."
Mrs Auty said the situation put the spotlight on the council's tender process for the project.
"The bottom line is that no matter who the contract goes to, the council has to respect their responsibility," she said.
It's the second time this year that the Chinchilla Trunk Drainage Project, designed to better manage the town's storm water run-off, has caused controversy.
In January, heavy rain caused silt to wash under the concrete of the stage one development on Gaske Lane, bringing damage to the drain and footpath.
Cr Brown said council would "ensure that the worksite is maintained in a safe manner to ensure the safety of the residents of Chinchilla", until the contractual matters are resolved.