Police may push ahead with assault charges against Walker
POLICE are reportedly intent on pushing ahead with assault charges against Manly centre Dylan Walker despite his fiancee's intent to retract her statement.
The 24-year-old was charged with common assault and assault occasioning actual bodily harm after an alleged incident with his partner, Alexandra Ivkovic at their home in Dee Why last week.
Walker first fronted the charges at Manly Local Court on Tuesday where his lawyer indicated he would please not guilty. The court also heard Ivkovic planned to retract her initial statement to police.
Police claim there is at least one independent witness to the alleged incident which left Ivkovic with cuts to her shoulder, legs and feet. She had to be treated by paramedics.
Police have taken out an apprehended violence order on behalf of Ivkovic, which states he doesn't assault, threaten, stalk, harass or intimidate her, or destroy or damage property that belongs to her.
The matter has been adjourned until December 18.
Speaking on Big Sports Breakfast on Wednesday, journalist Dean Ritchie said he understands police are intent on pressing ahead with the case without Ivkovic's statement.
"About three years ago they brought in this legislation that says we can now pursue a matter if we think something has happened," Ritchie said.
"Previously, if a victim recanted then basically it was all bets off. Now they can pursue it.
"I know of a person who witnessed this, this person said it wasn't great. He's happy to be involved, he doesn't want to speak to the media but he wants to push ahead.
"He said he was abused by Dylan Walker when he approached the situation.
"It's an ugly situation. We haven't heard the end of it. I still think the police will push ahead.''
The matter has been referred to the NRL Integrity Unit.