Two-year-old Norah Armstrong was rushed to hospital after her mother Stacey Armstrong found her with an empty bottle of hand sanitiser.
Two-year-old Norah Armstrong was rushed to hospital after her mother Stacey Armstrong found her with an empty bottle of hand sanitiser.

Mum’s horror after toddler drinks hand sanitiser

HER two-year-old daughter clutching an empty bottle of hand sanitiser was a nightmare Mackay mum Stacey Armstrong never imagined until this week.

Ms Armstrong left her toddler Norah Armstrong in the kitchen for a few moments on Tuesday afternoon.

"I came back and she showed me the empty bottle of hand sanitiser," she said.

The panicked mother watched as Norah proudly held the potently alcoholic bottle.

Ms Armstrong said the sharp smell of the antiseptic was clear on Norah's breath.

Read more

Hospital staff roll up sleeves for flu vaccinations

Frustration ongoing over Mackay Base Hospital carparks

Why our health service had a $4.2M budget blowout

Ms Armstrong said her daughter was at an age where she was climbing and reaching for anything she could see.

Ms Armstrong thought the 59ml bottle of hand sanitiser stored over the family's microwave would be safe from Norah's adventurous hands.

"All I could think was 'It's my fault'," Ms Armstrong said.

Subscriber benefits:

WATCH: Your guide to reading the Daily Mercury online

Daily puzzles and Sudoku another reason to stay subscribed

We're still here: How to contact your journalists

Ms Armstrong said she immediately called poisons control, before taking Norah to Mackay Base Hospital.

"(The doctors) just asked me how much she drank, what her reaction was after."

Luckily Norah was only tipsy from the strong antiseptic, Ms Armstrong said.

"She was sort of drunk," she said.

"She's all better … it was a quick recovery."

Ms Armstrong said she and her daughter were able to remain calm throughout the stressful hospital visit.

Four hours later and the pair were able to leave hospital with a valuable lesson.

"I hope me and her have learnt our lesson," she said.

But she said parents who kept hand sanitiser in their nappy bags and around the house should be aware of the dangers.

"If your toddler can climb up things like Norah, put the chemicals up higher," she said.

Poisons Information Centre, phone 131 126

Two-year-old Norah Armstrong was rushed to hospital after her mother Stacey Armstrong found her with an empty bottle of hand sanitiser.
Two-year-old Norah Armstrong was rushed to hospital after her mother Stacey Armstrong found her with an empty bottle of hand sanitiser.

IN COURT: Woman’s finger cut open after being attacked

Premium Content IN COURT: Woman’s finger cut open after being attacked

A Chinchilla woman faced court for assaulting a woman and stealing socks and...

REVEALED: Western Downs 2021 Australia Day Award recipients

Premium Content REVEALED: Western Downs 2021 Australia Day Award recipients

Here’s the list of inspirational, talented, and resilient locals who are set to...

48k jobs up for grabs: Qld’s employment boom

Premium Content 48k jobs up for grabs: Qld’s employment boom

Record job vacancies as bosses struggle to find workers