Inquiry to examine why 12 died in Grantham floods
A SECOND commission of inquiry into the deadly 2011 Grantham flood which claimed the lives of 12 townsfolk will get underway today.
The inquiry has been tasked with investigating whether a breach of a quarry located on the outskirts of town contributed to the town's destruction and resulting deaths.
Grantham residents have long claimed the quarry's wall collapsed at the height of the flood sending a wall of water hurtling towards the tiny community.
Eye witnesses described the wall of water that engulfed their town on January 10 as being like an inland tsunami.
The initial Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry cleared the quarry's prominent owners of any culpability but residents have said the investigation was rushed and flawed.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk ordered the new inquiry after an expose in The Australian revealed several inconsistencies with the initial report surrounding the role the quarry played.
New evidence claims the section of embankment that collapsed at the quarry was actually 260m long - not 55m as initially reported.
The new evidence also claims there were multiple breaches of the quarry wall rather than just a single breach as initially claimed.
Ms Palaszczuk, when announcing the new inquiry earlier this year, said she hoped Grantham residents would finally get the answers they had been searching for.
"They are determined that the deaths of their friends and neighbours and family members on that day will not be in vain," she said.
"The people of Grantham have suffered through a horrific, terrifying, fatal event.
"They deserve and require further closure ... they want the truth to prevail."
Former Solicitor-General Walter Sofronoff will chair the inquiry which will be held over the next three weeks at the Gatton Cultural Centre.
It is understood up to 30 eye witnesses to the tragedy will give evidence to the inquiry.
- APN NEWSDESK