Court John Weekes

Armed with sword, bat

A WANDOAN man has avoided jail time after being convicted on eight separate charges, including assault.

Quentin Paul Fraser attended Chinchilla Magistrates Court on Thursday June 7, pleading guilty to all charges, which included two counts of common assault, one of going armed to cause fear, one wilful damage, and four charges relating to drugs, being possessing dangerous drugs, producing dangerous drugs, possessing utensils/pipes used in connection with drugs, and possessing anything used in commission of a crime..

Police said Fraser attended a Moore Street address on February 24 at about 9pm.

The court heard he drove past the property and yelled abuse at the occupants, before returning again at about 10pm, when he left his car and produced a baseball bat, swearing and threatening the occupants.

Police said he attended a third time at about 10:30pm, this time on foot and wielding a samurai sword. He assaulted two men, not using the sword, before using the weapon to damage a woman's vehicle.

The court heard he returned yet again about an hour later, still with the sword, but this time it was in a sheath, and he spoke with the occupants.

Two days later police located Fraser at the Wandoan dump, and executed a search warrant for his vehicle.

The police prosecutor said police found nothing and Fraser agreed to them returning to his home which they also searched, finding two samurai swords, a baseball bat, and a knife.

Police also found a room containing seven cannabis plants ranging up to a metre tall.

The court heard Fraser was taken to the police station for a full recorded interview before police returned to his house and located three more cannabis plants outside.

Police also found lights, a sprayer, fertiliser, and black plastic used for the cannabis plants, about three grams of cannabis in a teapot, and further drug-related items in the kitchen.

Magistrate Robbie Davies acknowledged there were prior issues between both parties in the February 24 incident, but emphasised Fraser was the "attacker”.

"He's going their repeatedly,” Magistrate Davies said.

"This is violence in the street in public.

Addressing Fraser, Magistrate Davies said "you reacted in a very persistent and violent nature.”

For the first four counts, all occurring on February 24, Fraser was given a four month suspended sentence, suspended for 18 months.

Magistrate Davies said the second four counts were of a "different magnitude altogether' and fined Fraser $1000.

Magistrate Davies also ordered the forfeiture and destruction of the drugs and weapons, and also fined Fraser $465 in restitution for the damage done to the car.

In closing Magistrate Davies told Fraser it was "a very expensive night for you.”

Three new cases as Premier to face grilling

Premium Content Three new cases as Premier to face grilling

The Premier has confirmed three new COVID-19 cases overnight

Motorbike crash: Injured teen taken to hospital

Premium Content Motorbike crash: Injured teen taken to hospital

A teen was taken to hospital after being injured in a crash south of Chinchilla.

REVEALED: Western Downs 2021 Young Citizen of the Year

Premium Content REVEALED: Western Downs 2021 Young Citizen of the Year

Keeping those most vulnerable connected during the pandemic, this young Jandowae...