Stalker threatened to kill woman's ex-partner, walks free

A MAN who stalked his former partner and subjected her to a barrage of threats and abuse has walked free from court.

Jamie De Gier, 31, pleaded guilty on Wednesday in Ipswich District Court to stalking and weapon charges stemming from a 12 day period in August, 2015 following the breakup of a brief relationship with the woman.

Crown prosecutor Clare Kelly told the court De Gier sent the woman 1078 text message during the period which were angry, demanding, threatening and insulting.

She said De Gier also turned up the the woman's work on two occasions unannounced to confront her.

"There were threats to shoot her former partner and threats made to ruin her life," she said.

"He also strapped a mobile phone to her car which was used to track her movements.

"He also sent an email to her work colleagues which contained disparaging comments."

Ms Kelly said De Gier was arrested on August 17 lurking near the woman's home.

She said police located a taser and large hunting knife in a garden bed near where he was arrested.

"It is clear De Gier was not willing to accept the relationship was over," she said.

"The woman is still fearful of what may occur after these proceedings are completed."

Ms Kelly told the court the woman also wanted a two-year restraining order placed on De Gier as she wanted absolutely no contact with him moving forward - an application which was granted.

The woman provided the court with a lengthy victim impact statement but De Gier challenged aspects of what it contained.

Defence barrister Geoff Seaholme told the court De Gier was unemployed and was the full-time carer of his 15-month-old daughter from a previous relationship.

He said De Gier had already spent 80 days behind bars before being granted bail in November, 2015.

"He says he was carrying the taser and hunting knife for his own protection after receiving threats from the woman's former partner," he said.

"He also denies he taped a phone to the woman's car, but say he did leave it inside her vehicle by mistake."

Judge Sarah Bradley Judge Sarah Bradley sentenced De Gier to 18 months behind bars but ordered he be released on immediate parole after taking into account the time he had served in pre-sentence custody.

Warrego MP hits back at remote quarantine proposal

Premium Content Warrego MP hits back at remote quarantine proposal

Warrego MP Ann Leahy has slammed the Premier’s proposal to move international...

Mammoth road funding secured for Maranoa Electorate

Premium Content Mammoth road funding secured for Maranoa Electorate

Tens of millions of dollars of funding have been secured for road safety upgrades...

ULTIMATE GUIDE: Where to celebrate Australia Day in Dalby

Premium Content ULTIMATE GUIDE: Where to celebrate Australia Day in Dalby

From family cricket games, to citizenship ceremonies and barbecues, here’s where...