News

Granville man recalls moment flames engulfed next door home

UPDATE 12:30PM: BANGING on the door is what woke up Granville's Gary Booth this morning at 4am, an alert to let him know his neighbour's home was burning to the ground.

The inferno was right next door, the surreal image of flames engulfing his neighbour's house.

"When I looked out, the house was quite engulfed," Mr Booth said.

"I could see the owner in the backyard and could see he was safe.

"He just looked to be in shock."

Mr Booth jumped into action and took out a garden hose in a bid to help in any way to decrease further damage being done and stop the flames from spreading.

 

Gary Booth lives next door to the house that caught fire in Granville on January 12. He said the frightening experience was surreal.
Gary Booth lives next door to the house that caught fire in Granville on January 12. He said the frightening experience was surreal. Annie Perets

 

"There are trees out the back and I was trying to hose the flames back from them," Mr Booth said.

"Within five minutes, the fire brigade was here."

There is about a 5m gap between the house Mr Booth lives in and that of his unfortunate neighbour.

The heat from the flame began to be felt in the glass in Mr Booth's house, and even made a crack.

"I tried to touch the glass but it was almost too hot to touch," he said.

"I was most worried about the windows cracking as that would have lit everything up.

"Once the fire got really big, I got my wife to put our dogs in the car and just go."

Mr Booth said the concept of a major fire happening next to him was just unreal.

"You just can't believe it's happening," he said.

"The fire crews reacted really quickly, and saved the house from turning into complete ash."

Firefighters spent Thursday morning following the incident working to contain the high quantity of asbestos that was released.

The owner of the burned down house was described to be a long-term resident by neighbours, who had recently done renovation works inside.

A former resident of that house came to visit what's left of the home following the incident, and was brought to tears.

 

 

FRASER COAST TOP STORIES

1. Fraser Coast retailer adds a cafe, float tank and sauna

2. REVEALED: cheapest fuel stations on Fraser Coast

3. Fraser Coast mum fights Centrelink debt claim

 

EARLIER: AN OLD Queenslander has been destroyed in Granville after it went up in flames in the early hours of Thursday morning.

When crews arrived on scene the only resident who lived at the Granville property was trapped in his backyard with his dog in his arms.

 

The remains of a home in Granville after a fire gutted it in the early hours of January 12.
The remains of a home in Granville after a fire gutted it in the early hours of January 12. Annie Perets

 

Maryborough Fire Station Officer Shaun Murphy rescued the man from the yard while the first team of firefighters started extinguishing the blaze.

"On arrival the Queenslander was fully engulfed upstairs and under the house," Officer Murphy said.

"The roof had collapsed.

"We cut the gates open, got him out of the backyard and into an ambulance," he said.


Fire crews work to put out the blaze which engulfed a Queenslander in Granville.
Fire crews work to put out the blaze which engulfed a Queenslander in Granville. Annie Perets

 

The man was in shock and was taken to hospital for precautionary reasons. 

About 14 fire fighters worked to contain the blaze within about 45 minutes.

The fire, which started just before 4am, was completely under control in just over an hour.

Protective lines to neighbouring properties were put in place.

 

Fire crews work to put out the blaze which engulfed a Queenslander in Granville.
Fire crews work to put out the blaze which engulfed a Queenslander in Granville. Annie Perets

 

"Neighbours also had their own garden hoses out," Officer Murphy said.

Officer Murphy said there was a smoke alarm in the house.

It's also believed there was a boat, welder and car on the property.

Follow Annie Perets on Twitter for more local news.

TOP TIPS

1. Make sure the surrounding areas of your house are clear and accessible for fire fighters.

2. Check and make sure you have working smoke alarms at your property.

Topics:  fcemergency fire qfes


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Good cop, bye cop: Sgt Wiltshire calls it a day with Miles

Miles Police officer-in-charge Sergeant Ben Wiltshire is moving on after more than six years.

In a period of change, Sgt Ben Wiltshire has witnessed a lot.

Daylight saving: 'Draw a line from Goondiwindi to Rocky'

Sunset in maryborough, Queensland. - User Contributed

Just draw a line from Goondiwindi to Rockhampton

Dedicated Dulcie is our Citizen of the Year

Dulcie Graham is Western Downs Regional Council's 2017 Citizen of the Year for the Chinchilla district.

Devoted volunteer Dulcie Graham wins Citizen of the Year.

Local Partners

Elsa voice actor's son hates Frozen

Idina Menzel's son "hates" his mother's most famous film 'Frozen'

Chrissy Teigen likes her "soft" stretch marks

Stretch marks are no problem for Chrissy Teigen

Naomie Harris in the dark over Daniel Craig's future as 007

Naomie Harris has no idea if Daniel Craig will be returning as 007

REVIEW: Will Kasey Chambers' Dragonfly take off with fans?

Kasey Chambers’ new album Dragonfly gets 3.5 stars from Cameron Adams.

CHAMBERS is back with her 11th studio album.

Ed Sheeran wants Beyonce collaboration

Ed Sheeran wants to record a duet with Beyoncé.

Nicole Kidman squirms through questions on Keith

Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban

'God, you guys are personal ... that’s for him to talk about'

By the water's edge

Secure your seachange

HOT PROPERTY: Money to spend on land, buildings

File picture.

Sale, leasing of industrial real estate picks up in Mackay

Collapsed Coast company could owe up to $5 million

Staff, ATO, landlords among those out of pocket.

Ipswich block of dirt sells for $582 a square metre

JUST SOLD: A property on the Brookwater golf course sold for a record-breaking $612,000.

Property smashed 2007 record by close to $100,000

Sunday auction for historical home

Former Catholic school sure to attract spirited bidding

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!